Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cake Making

Elodie from Les Jeunesse (Youth Group) came over Saturday afternoon. She wanted to use my oven to make some cakes for independence day, which is today (Aug 7th). She brought a couple 10 year olds to help her. It was interesting to watch them measure, mix, and prepare batter. Africans typically don't bake or measure things the same way that Americans do.

She made banana, vanilla, and chocolate cakes. The part that I was amazed at was during the first one. She got the batter all ready and poured it into the pan, but it looked really thick... but I was unsure of what she had put in or what the recipe was, so I didn't know what she needed to add. But just before she put it in the oven, she remembered that she didn't put the eggs in.

So the little ones started cracking eggs and throwing them into the mixing bowl with the returned batter. You see here when I crack eggs I typically don't crack them directly into whatever I am making, because there is a higher chance of one of them being bad. I had gone to a different room while they started adding and mixing the eggs in... I returned to the kitchen to questions of "do you think that egg is bad? what do we do?"

Then I saw them taking the broken eggshells and scooping out the egg that they had already started to mix into the batter. I was a little taken back. In my head I was thinking there is no way that you got all the rotten eggness. You already started mixing it in... gross. But then Elo grabbed my hand and we surrounded the cake mix and prayed that God would help it not be bad.

All the cakes ended up looking beautiful. My oven gave me a little bit of trouble, but that is alright.

Elo was one the girls in my Transformation Group when I was an apprentice in 2005. I think she was 14 or 15 then. She has matured and grown in her faith a lot in the last 6 years. Praise God. She is heavily involved in the church. She is part of the choir and youth group. Pray that God will continue to develop this young lady and give her a heart to reach those in her community with the transformation that Jesus brings.

No comments: